Monday, November 24, 2008

The StrangerFebruary 29, 2008 )

She was getting engaged.


And all I could do was standby and applaud along with all. I didn’t dare open my mouth for fear of saying something stupid.


Something like “I love you”.


I remembered the other day when she had come to me with red eyes. Her “best friend” was getting away. It had never mattered to me that her best friend was a guy. I thought I was above such things. But her tears awoke the sin of jealousy in my heart. Fighting it, I had consoled her and given her chocolates to eat. She proceeded to rest her head on the crook of my arm. And formally fell asleep. I checked at her baby like innocence.


But now, I applaud; I felt something stabbing at my heart.


She was getting married.


I saw her coming down stairs checked out in her bridal jewelry. Never I had seen looking this pretty. I saw her taking the seven rounds of sacred fire with the man I had come to hate, holding his hand. I saw her exchanging garlands with him.


She was a total stranger to me now.


I was standing near the car when they both come over to me. I wondered what they wanted. I wondered how to say farewell to depart.


Nevertheless, as my daughter and son in law touched my feet, I blessed them. She was openly crying, I told her not to worry. That I’ll always be here.


She responded by hugging me.

And I could not stop tears anymore.


(copied from external sources!! :-D)

No comments: